Tuesday, January 12, 2010

But Boy Could He Play Guitar


On January the 1st 1970 Yorkshire folkie Michael Chapman released his second album Fully Qualified Survivor, a record that passed with few fanfares or fireworks (apart from John Peel crowning it 'Album of the Year'). Forty years on, the album pooling all the elements for the post sixties Bowie tone remains an overlooked obscurity.The Velvets, Iggy and Dylan may get the knowing nods for the rise of Ziggy Stardust but the core components are much closer to home.

Produced by Gus Dudgeon, with string arrangements by Paul Buckmaster, both having worked on Chapman's debut Rainmaker - and Bowie's Space Oddity in between - it's Chapman's choice of fretman for 'Fully Qualified Survivor' that's the key ingredient here. Handpicked from Hull, and making his recording debut is - Mick Ronson.

Ronno's glittering riffs and runs electrify the album's open aired fuggyness of acoustic shuffles, lumpen drums and sparkling guitar work. Effectively it's a style that informs The Man Who Sold The World through to Ziggy Stardust. In the the same way Anthony Newley and this chap (no it's not Bowie singing honest!) were borrowed for Bowie's vocal coat of many colours, Chapman's chewed 'S's, fey waywardness and louche-lipped, gin-soaked vocals seem to have been appropriated as the voice of choice for DB's heavy hippy moonage daydreaming.

We've already documented, Bowie's magpie eye for talent, so it's no surprise that shortly after Fully Qualified Survivor's release, Ronson and Hull-based band mates Trevor Bolder and Woody Woodmansey were recruited for Bowie's new band The Hype eventually evolving into The Spiders From Mars until Ziggy broke up the band.

If you're familiar with the Dame's pre-Pinups discography (Pin ups drummer Ansley Dunbar also appears on Rainmaker) Fully Qualified Survivor will get you spotting a references from the off. Build in the space-age mod clobber of a Droog suit, top it off with Vivienne Westwood's feather cut, and all the pieces fall into place.

Michael Chapman - Soulful Lady





Eleven months later Bowie releases The Man Who Sold The World



Micheal Chapman can be visited online at...

Michael Chapman's official website
Michael Chapman on Myspace

11 comments:

lil said...

I followed your trail over to Myspace, and I'm so glad that I did!
Michael’s music is beautiful...

Mondo said...

Do you know I haven't tried his new stuff yet Lil, I've been too busy hammering Rainmaker and Fully Qualified Survivor - which are almost Solid Air meets The Man Sold The World - but well before both

Cocktails said...

Thanks for this - it was all news to me.

Is that giggling on the end of the Stranger in the Room track?!

Peewit said...

I discovered FQS in the late lamented Rythym Records in Camden in the early 80's. I was unaware of the Mick Ronson connection at the time but something drew me to the vinyl album. It is probably my favourite album of all my vast collection. I've worn out two vinyl copies ( the original reissue I bought) and an original 2nd Hand copy and the CD I now have is constantly played together with the MP3 rip I've done. Shall I stop gushing now?

Mondo said...

Yes that's it, the giggling reminds of a Serge Gainsbourg track from Melody Nelson, but the harmonic chimes Mick Ronson drops in, I know from a Bowie track but can't place it.. Oh and I forgot to mention Fully Qualified Survivor opens with a 9 minute track. Guess what The Man Who Sold The World opens with?

I only discovered it over Christmas Peewit via this but given that half of it has the fluid fingered technique of John Martyn (and similar vocal stylings), the 'electric' tracks put Ronno on the radar and became reference material for Bowie can't believe FSQ and Michael Chapman are still so low profile. I grabbed the BBC sessions today have you tried those

Cocktails said...

Yes, that's it!! It's Serge's Melody Nelson!

Hmmmm.

Furtheron said...

I saw Chapman on the BBC's legend programmes recently... I'd totally forgotten him... another reminder here

Mondo said...

I'd literally never heard of him until Christmas F-Ron..But similar to when I picked up on John Martyn his style and sound feel instantly familiar - I'll have to dig about for the beeb programme. Great acoustic sound on his new material too..

Daniela said...

Thank you;I'm very glad you like it.
Your blog is very awesome as well :)

Piley said...

been out the frame last few days... this is AMAZING stuff Mondo, my gob is very much smacked! As you know I'm a fair old Bowie fan meself, yet had no idea of this... an incredible find. Well buzzed up to hear some more.

P

Mondo said...

Thanks Daniella - I'll be checking in at your place for new posts regulalry..

It's well worth grabbing the double CD set P, there's a few tracks which Bowie has clearly lifted from, but the other stuff is John Martynish with incredible acoustic work. All of which means - why isn't he bigger, and why have I never seen his name come up in connection with Bowie biogs?